The kid in the book receives a desk from his grandpa (uncle?) and a note stating there is a clue hidden in the desk. The note also imposes a time limit that the kid has to meet in order to get the treasure. The kid finds a secret compartment that contains a key and that key takes him to a bus/train station where he uses the key to unlock a locker. There is a duffel bag in the locker that is full of chopsticks. I believe the chopsticks lead the kid to a Chinese restaurant. I can’t remember specifically where it goes from there but I think it ends up leading him back to the desk and the treasure is hidden inside.
- There is a man at a bank that will take control of the treasure if the kid can’t solve it in time
- The pictures in the book were shades of yellows, browns, whites, and grays
- There is a secret panel in the desk that reveals a combination style lock face
- I read this in the 90s but it could be older
- I think the kid had an animal companion but not 100% sure on that
- Not Terry’s (Tony’s) Treasure Hunt